For information on candidate petitions for Federal or Statewide offices, please contact:
New Jersey Division of Elections
PO Box 304 Trenton, NJ 08625-0304
225 West State Street, 5th Floor
Tel: (609) 292-3760
Fax: (609) 777-1280
Petitions and Ballot Position forms for Countywide and Local offices can be obtained at the County Clerk's office Election Division, at your local Municipal Clerk's office, or by clicking on the links below. Please call us at (201) 336-7020 for more information and to determine how many signatures will be required on your petition.
- County Level Primary Petition
- County Level Independent Petition
- Local Level Primary Petition
- Local Level Primary Signatures Required
- Local Level Independent Petition
- Independent Signatures Required
- November School BOE Petition
- Signature Page
- Position on Ballot Mayor & Council (Republican)
- Position on Ballot Mayor & Council (Democrat)
Electronic Petitions/Signature Page
Effective immediately as a measure to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, candidates can now obtain signatures electronically on a nominating petition. Please be advised that these are only supplemental signature pages. A candidate/designee will still need to complete all of the required documents (i.e. Certificate of Acceptance, etc.) All of the statutory requirements will remain the same.
The petition’s respective filing officer shall develop the electronic procedures for signature verification, petition notarization, and submission of oaths to meet the requirements of current law.
- Initiative and Referendum Petition
- Generic County/Town form - One Candidate
- Generic County/Town form - Two Candidates
- Generic County/Town form - Three Candidates
- Petition of Direct Nomination for the Municipal General Election - One Candidate
- Petition of Direct Nomination for the Municipal General Election - Two Candidate
- Petition of Direct Nomination for the Municipal General Election - Three Candidate
School Board Nominating Petitions
With the enactment of P.L. 2020, c.55, school board candidates may submit their petitions electronically, please contact your county clerk for details.
- Individual Nominating Petition for Annual School Elections
- Joint/Bracketing Nominating Petition for Annual School Elections
Pledge of Allegiance
If you are a candidate and you have not already signed and notarized an Oath of Allegiance, please complete a Pledge of Allegiance (which can be found in the additional required documents link).
Please be advised that the Affidavit of Circulator page does not need to be notarized. A circulator would still need to Print and Sign their name and include their address.