Articles of Incorporation
The Village of Ridgewood was created on November 20, 1894, with the same boundaries as Ridgewood Township (formerly known as Godwinville). The Village became the municipal government while the Township remained a school district. In 1902, the village added portions of Orvil Township,which were returned to Orvil Township in 1915. In 1925, Ridgewood Village acquired area from Franklin Township (remainder now dissolved as Wyckoff). On February 9, 1971, Ridgewood acquired area from Washington Township. On May 28, 1974, it acquired area from Ho-Ho-Kus.The name of the village derives from the characteristics of its terrain.
The Village of Ridgewood has had career firefighters since 1924. On January 2, 1927 the Ridgewood Fire Department was chartered into the NJ State Fireman's Mutual Benevolent Association (FMBA) as Local 47. FMBA Local 47 is now comprised of 40 full-time career firefighters (many who are also Emergency Medical Technicians and/or Fire Inspectors) who proudly serve the people of the Village of Ridgewood, New Jersey.