Articles of Incorporation
Allendale was formed on November 8, 1894, from portions of Franklin Township (remainder now Wyckoff), Hohokus Township (remainder now Mahwah) and Orvil Township (remainder now Waldwick). The borough was formed during the "Boroughitis" phenomenon then sweeping through Bergen County, in which 26 boroughs were formed in the county in 1894 alone. The borough was named for the William C. Allen, a surveyor for the Erie Railroad. Babe Ruth would frequently vacation at the Allendale Hotel, which remains in use as a rooming house.
Certificate of Election Dated November 8, 1894 confirming the Special Election held "In the matter for the formation of a Borough Government known as the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Allendale".
What is an Exempt Fire Fighter Certificate?
New Jersey State Statute 40A:14-56 provides that any person who joins a municipal fire department and attends 60% (before 2009) and 50% (starting in 2009) of fires and drills for seven years is entitled to an exempt firefighter's certificate. This certificate is then filed with the County Clerk and entitles the firefighter to certain benefits by statute.
Pictured above are examples of documents archived at the Office of the Bergen County Clerk.
Letters to Judge Determining Allendale Bounderies
Resolution - April 2, 1903 Changing the name from "The Mayor and COuncil of the Borough of Allendale" to "The Borough of Allendale"
Statement of Results of an Election held by the Borough of Allendale on March 12, 1895. Results for offices of Mayor, Council, Collector, Chosen Freeholder, Justice of the Peace, etc.