Articles of Incorporation
The territory comprising Norwood was originally settled about 1670 by a dozen or more families mostly from the Dutch Republic, who purchased the land under the Tappan Patent. About that time a grant was also given by Philip Carteret, Governor of the Province of East Jersey, during the reign of King Charles II of England. The Lenni Lenape Native Americans roamed the valley.
The name Norwood emanated from the old description of its location in the "North-Woods". It was a part of Harrington Township, which was formed in 1775 from the northernmost portions of Hackensack Township and New Barbadoes Township, stretching from the Hudson River in the east to the Saddle River in the west.
In 1840, the portions of Harrington Township west of the Hackensack River were taken away to create Washington Township. At that point, Harrington Township was somewhat in the form of a square measuring across each way about 5 miles (8 km), bounded on the north by Rockland County, New York; east by the Hudson River, south by Hackensack Township and west by the Hackensack River. At that time, Norwood, Northvale (once called Neuvy), Old Tappan, Demarest, Closter and Harrington Park were communities within Harrington Township.
On March 14, 1905, Norwood seceded from its parent Harrington Township and was incorporated as an independent borough.
Exempt Fire Fighter Certificate - Max Eckstein Issued May 3, 1919 Exempt Fire Fighter Certificate - Wm F. Harra Issued May 3, 1919
Special Election, Borough of Norwood - March 8, 1905