English   Español   한국어


Though U.S. Passports are issued by the Federal Government, you may process your passport application at the Bergen County Clerk’s office. Please read the information below before applying for a passport. If you have any question regarding the passport application process, please contact our office at (201) 336-7000.

Application & Requirements^

To receive a U.S. Passport you must fulfill the following requirements and complete the application process which includes the following steps:

  1. Complete the passport application
  2. Provide proof of American citizenship
  3. Provide approved secondary forms of identification
  4. Provide passport photographs
  5. Pay the processing fees

Children's Passport – Requirements and Consent^

The Federal Government now requires the signatures of both parents on all passport applications for children age 15 and younger. This requires the presence of both parents at the time of application, OR written documentation from the parent who cannot appear in person giving his or her consent for the issuance of the child's passport.

Consent can be given using Parental Consent Form DS-3053 or a written statement. This statement must contain the child's full name, date of birth and place of birth, and give authorization to the parent appearing in person to apply for the child's passport. The statement or form must be notarized and presented at the time of application. A separate statement or form must be presented for each child. You can find Parental Consent Form DS-3053 on the Federal Website.

Additionally, a birth certificate showing the names of both parents, known as a long form birth certificate, must be presented for each child age 15 and younger, even when there was a previous passport issued. (Public Law 106-113, Section 236) Long form birth certificates must also be presented for children of any age if their last name is different from the applying parents’ last name.

Completed Application^

Your departure date, if known, and Social Security number must be included. It is important that you fill in all required information on the application. Do not sign the application until you are instructed to do so in the presence of the Passport Agent who is processing it.

View/Download Passport Application Form

Secondary Forms of Identification^

Aside from your proof of citizenship, you must also be able to identify yourself and authenticate your signature with the following documents:

  • Driver's License
    If you are over 17 present your own driver’s license. If you are under 17, your parent may present his or her driver's license or other approved form of identification.

If you are over 17 and do not have a driver's license, you must present at least three forms of identification, one of which must contain your signature. Some acceptable forms of identification are …

  • State Issued ID Card
  • Social Security Card
  • Voter Registration
  • School or College ID
  • Business or Industrial ID
  • Union Membership Card
  • Health Benefits Card
  • Special License ID
View/Download Secondary Supplemental Identification Information

Any passport applicant without acceptable ID must appear with an identifying witness who is a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, has known the applicant for at least 2 years and has acceptable identification.


You must present one photo, measuring 2" x 2", which must be in color on a white background. The photo should show your full face, be free of any head coverings, headbands (unless they are worn for religious purposes) or glasses and be less than six (6) months old. Photo can be taken at the County Clerk's office for $10.

Processing Time^

Standard passport processing takes four to six weeks from the date of application. Expedited service takes two to three weeks. Since processing times may vary due to demand, please check the federal web site for the current processing times and any other special travel announcements.

Proof of American Citizenship^

Any one (1) of the following may be considered as proof of American Citizenship:

  • Birth Certificate

You must present an original birth certificate or a certified copy issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics, which bears a raised/embossed or multicolored seal. Hospital certificates or church records are not acceptable in place of a Birth Certificate.

Note: As a result of a joint U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Justice investigation, Birth Certificates issued by the Hudson County Office of Vital Statistics and/or Jersey City Department of Health cannot be accepted for passport applications. A NJ State issued Birth Certificate is required. For a state issued replacement of a Hudson County or Jersey City issued birth certificate, click on the following link:

NJ State Vital Statistics

As of October 30, 2010 the Department of State will only accept Puerto Rican birth certificates issued on or after July 1, 2010. Affected customers that do not yet have a new Puerto Rican birth certificate should be referred to the official websites for information on how to apply for their birth certificates. For more information and official website addresses: http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/countyclerk/forms/Puerto Rico Birth Cert Document.pdf

  • Previous U.S. Passport
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • You must present the original certificate. A copy is not acceptable. You will get a receipt for your certificate and it will be returned to you with your new passport.

Renewing Your Passport By Mail^

If you can answer "Yes" to all of the following questions, you may be eligible to renew your passport by mail:

  • I can submit my most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card with this application.
  • I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card was issued.
  • I was issued my most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card less than 15 years ago.
  • I use the same name on my most recent U.S. Passport Book and/or U.S. Passport Card. – OR – I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name change.

If you have determined that you can renew your passport by mail, you will need Passport form DS-82 (Application for a U.S. Passport By Mail) available via the link below:

Access State Travel Passport Forms

Fill out all required information on the DS-82. Sign and date the application. Mail the completed application along with your $110 check or money order, made payable to the US. Department of State, plus one (1) new passport photos, to the address provided on the application. You may also expedite your application for additional fees.

Note: Children's passports cannot be renewed by mail.

Who Must Appear/Appearing in Person^

All applicants, including children of all ages and adults who are not eligible to renew their passports by mail, must appear in person, whether applying for a new or renewal passport.


Passport fees are controlled by the Federal Government and fees are set as follows:

Adult (16 & Older)^


  • Check made payable to US Department of State $110
  • Plus a separate cash processing fee $25


  • Check made payable to US Department of State $185.89
  • Plus a separate cash processing fee $40.89

Expedited Fees include 2-way overnight mailing fees – US Postal Service

Child (15 & Younger)^


  • Check made payable to US Department of State $80
  • Plus a separate cash processing fee $25


  • Check made payable to US Department of State $155.89
  • Plus a separate cash processing fee $40.89

Expedited Fees include 2-way overnight mailing fees – US Postal Service

Passport Card^

The U.S. Passport Card was introduced in July 2008. It's a wallet-size document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or seaports-of-entry. The Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. However, it otherwise carries all the rights and privileges of the U.S. Passport Book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

The US Department of State created the Passport Card largely for residents in border communities, who needed a less expensive, more portable alternative to the traditional Passport Book. The card remains valid for the same period: ten years for adults, five years for children 15 and younger.


  • First-time passport card applicant – Adults $55
  • First-time passport card applicant – Children $40
  • Renewal - Adults who already have a passport book may apply for the card as a passport renewal $30
  • Expedited Service Additional Fee

Most U.S. Citizens, whether or not they have a Passport Book, may apply for a Passport Card. If you currently have or previously had a U.S. Passport Book, you may be able to apply for a Passport Card by mail using passport renewal form DS-82. If you never had a Passport Book, or you do not meet the requirements to apply by mail, you may apply for a Passport Card in person using form DS-11. You can apply for a Passport Book and a Passport Card at the same time.

Note: Passport Cards cannot be shipped using overnight delivery. All Passport Cards will be returned by First Class Mail.

Visit the US Department of State website for more information about the US Passport Card.

Other Resources^

For further information you can visit the U.S. Department of State's passport website.

You can also contact the National Passport Information Center or Regional Passport Offices listed below.

The National Passport Information Center (NPIC)^

The National Passport Information Center is the US State Department's single, centralized public contact center for passport information. You may check the status of a pending passport application using the toll free number or the website.

  • Telephone - General toll-free number: (877) 4USA-PPT – (877) 487-2778. For TDD/ TTY users, the number is (888) 874-7793. Live operators are available on weekdays from 8am to 8pm, Eastern Time. Twenty-four hour, seven-day access to automated information is still available.
  • Email – You can . During normal business days, responses are sent within 24-hours.
  • Web – A vast amount of passport and other international travel information is readily available on the the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Regional Passport Offices^

You can make an appointment at any of these offices using a touch tone phone, 24 hours a day. Call (877) 487-2778, and follow the automated prompts. To use this service, you must be traveling within 14 calendar days and have proof of your departure date (tickets or itinerary). If you need same day service, you MUST call before 10am.

Note: The New York, Stamford (Connecticut) and Philadelphia Passport Offices no longer offer "Walk-In" same day service for new or renewal passports. You must make an appointment in advance.

New York
New York Passport Agency
376 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014

Connecticut Passport Agency
850 Canal Street
Stamford, NJ 06902

Philadelphia Passport Agency
U.S. Custom House
200 Chestnut Street - Room 103
Philadelphia, PA 19106-2970

© 2012 Bergen County Clerk · All Rights Reserved Site Designed, Developed and Maintained by AlphaDog