English   Español   한국어

Naturalization Records

The naturalization of non-US born residents is handled by the Federal Government through the US Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). However, access to some naturalization records is available at the County level.

County Clerk records contain only Petitions of Intent and Oaths of Allegiances for Naturalizations, from approximately 1906 through 1989.

For Records:

  • Prior to 1906 …Only ALIEN records are available.
  • After 1989 …Contact the USCIS at (800) 375-5283, or visit their web site.

Please Note:
The County Clerk's office does not have and cannot duplicate Naturalization Certificates. Replacement certificates must be issued by the USCIS office in Newark. See "Replacing Certificates" below for more information.

For additional information, you may also contact the New Jersey Division of Archives & Records Management (By phone: (609) 292-6260).

Fees (For a Staff Search) ^

  • County Clerk Certification of Record (with Gold Seal) $10
  • County Clerk Certification stating "No Record Found" (with Gold Seal) $10
  • Photo copy of Record $10
  • Search of Records (even if the desired record is not found) $10

Please note that copies from older Naturalization Books are sometimes difficult to read and/or copy due to age. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Filings ^

For information regarding current Naturalization Certificate filings contact:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
970 Broad Street
Newark, NJ 07102
Tel: (800) 375-5283
Visit Website

Records Search ^

To search the naturalization records in Bergen County, you must submit a written request to the County Clerk’s Office. The request should include as much of the following information as possible:

  • Name of person in question (include all possible names and spellings)
  • Date of birth of person
  • Approximate date of naturalization
  • Address at time of naturalization
  • The fee for a search of records is listed in our Fees section above

Replacing Certificates ^

To replace Lost or Stolen Naturalization Certificates go on-line to …

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (Print Form N-565, follow all instructions)
© 2012 Bergen County Clerk · All Rights Reserved Site Designed, Developed and Maintained by AlphaDog