Articles of Incorporation
Carlstadt was originally formed as a village by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 12, 1860, within Lodi Township. Most sources indicate that the community was named for Dr. Carl Klein, the leader of a group of early German settlers who led the project to establish the community though Henry Gannett stated that the name derived from the city of Karlovac in Croatia, which was known as "Carlstatdt" in German. The Borough of Carlstadt was incorporated on June 27, 1894, formally set off from Bergen Township. The borough was formed during the "Boroughitis" phenomenon then sweeping through Bergen County, in which 26 boroughs were formed in the county in 1894 alone.
Map showing boundaries of the Borough of Carlstadt as enlarged by Special Election held April 5, 1897.
Carlstadt Fire Roster August 16, 1890
Names of the Active Members of the Carlstadt Fire Department - June 1, 1891
Report of the Carlstadt Exempt Fire Association to the County Clerk - April 5, 1896
Special Election Advertisment for the Borough of Carlstadt -