Articles of Incorporation
Tenafly was incorporated as a borough on January 24, 1894, by an act of the New Jersey Legislature from portions of the now-defunct Palisades Township, based on the results of a referendum held the previous day. The borough was the first formed during the "Boroughitis" phenomenon then sweeping through Bergen County, in which 26 boroughs were formed in the county in 1894 alone. Portions of Palisades Township were acquired based on legislation approved on April 8, 1897.
Resolution changing the name of "The Borough of Tenafly" to "Borough of Tenafly" - 1950
Election Notice - In the matter of Incorporation of a Borough to be known as "The Mayor and Council of the Borough of Tenafly"
Outline Map of the Proposed Borough of Tenafly
Map of Property belonging to Mrs. Jane L Smith and Ms Helena Mahan lying near the Tenafly Station on the Northern Railroad of New Jersey.
Map of Property belonging to G.B. Palmer - December 1905
Map of Property belonging to Tenafly Land Development, formerly part of Camp Merrit. Approved August 14, 1925.
Map of Property at Highland on the Northern Railroad. Filed May 31, 1878
"A meeting was called on July 7, 1891, for the purpose of organizing a fire company for the village of Tenafly and that the organization would be known as the "Tenafly Volunteer Fire Department' ". The above quotation was taken directly from he original minute books still in the possession of the Department.
Within two months seven hundred dollars was raised by subscriptions, one hundred dollars of which was spent for the purchase of an ornate hand-drawn, four wheel hose carriage from the City of Hoboken. In the fall of the year 1891 George Vossler, local blacksmith, built a horse drawn ladder truck and both apparatus were stored in the Atwood Building on West Railroad Avenue.
Exempt Fire Certificate for John M Bender - 1909
Tenafly Exempt Fire Roster - 1898
Tenafly Exempt Fire Roster - 1892
Tenafly Fire Roster "Members in Good Standing, and exempt from Jury Duty" - 1900