Articles of Incorporation
Little Ferry was formed by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on September 18, 1894, from portions of Lodi Township and New Barbadoes Township, based on the results of a referendum held two days earlier. The borough was formed during the "Boroughitis" phenomenon then sweeping through Bergen County, in which 26 boroughs were formed in the county in 1894 alone.
During the colonial era, the borough was the site of an important ferry crossing between the region's towns at Bergen and Hackensack, which was operated by rope on the site starting in 1659, continuing until 1826 when it was replaced by a bridge on the Bergen Turnpike.
Map of Property of H. Paroubek - Kipp Avenue - November 1891 Map of Frieberg Near Hackensack - 1873
Map of Prpoerty of Anna Marie Dietrichsm - October 13, 1910 Property of James Pickens - Decmber 1892
On October 8,1908 the Governing Body passed an ordinance on final reading creating the Little Ferry Fire Department and approved the following as officers and members of Hose Co. Number 1, the Borough's first volunteer firemen:
Charles Schultz Jr., Foreman
Frederick Becker, Asst. Foreman
Frank Rysavy Jr, Secretary
Herman Becker, Treasurer
Exempt Fire Fighter Certificate for Edward C Lutten - November 10, 1915 Exempt Fire Fighter Certificate for Raymond C Schoff - January 3, 1922
Notice of Election Certification - March 12, 1895
Election Certification - November 10, 1894 Notice of Election - November 13, 1894
Notice of Election of Officers - October 31, 1894